Monday 18 July 2011

Becoming Neon Fizz

When I was in Kindergarten I used to outsource my coloring-in because I was one of the best 'drawers' in class. A few years later I'd collate my pencil sketches into tiny, stapled booklets and sell them on the playground for fifty cents. This entrepreneurial creativity continued through high school. Hence, graduating from university with a Bachelor's Degree in Graphic Design was an underwhelming experience for those who know me.

I have worked in the design industry for a few years and created eye catching illustrations and graphics for magazines, TV, books and fashion accessories. I have had the great opportunity of receiving feedback from a very discerning target market. I still smile at one girl's incredulity at confirming her suspicion that you can make a living by drawing.

As my career progressed, my creative focus, driven by advertising commissions shifted to the readers who would cut out my illustrations from ads and make collages and sometimes replicate them with the materials available to them such as crayons, newsagency-bought pencils or supplies from mum or dad's office.

This coloring-outside-the-line reciprocation glimmered through company/branding style guides and invoices and began to inspire me to create and make my work accessible beyond the corporate sector. Hence, Neon Fizz was born ...

Feel free to browse my shop on Etsy. The downloads are affordable but inspiration is free. Who knows, you may know someone who'll use them to create tiny handmade books to sell at fifty cents on the playground.

No comments:

Post a Comment